Want to plan for an awesome spring and summer? Achieve a few (or all) of these items in March:
- Make your camping reservations for this summer, if you havenâ€™t done so yet. Reserve through Washington State Park Online Reservation Service (Washington) or Reserve America for Oregon. Theyâ€™re going fast â€“ when I checked, availability was very limited at some popular parks. The scramble for BC campsite and yurt reservations starts on March 15 at 7 a.m. PST at theÂ BC Camping Reservation Service (Discover Camping). Read more on camping with kids in Washington State, camping with kids in British Columbia and camping with kids in Oregon.
- Book your room for hot summer properties:Â Oregon Coast, Whistler and Leavenworth. Particularly if you’re planning for a popular summer weekend.
- Decide which weekend youâ€™re going to set aside for your local familyÂ tulip festival and make plans, just in case spring arrives early (hereâ€™s to hoping!).
- Go on a weekend daytrip to break up a rainy month; we have suggestions for Portland and Seattle.
- Play with kids in the snow before it melts away. Even if you have to drive up to the Cascades for the afternoon.
- Take advantage of off-season Priceline rates in the big cities: Portland, Vancouver, Seattle. Or take advantage of shoulder-season rates at one of the NWâ€™s popular year-round destinations: Oregon Coast, Whistler, Mt. Hood and Victoria (you won’t find excellent Priceline deals in these cities, although Whistler sometimes offers a few).
- Enjoy this monthâ€™s free (or discounted) museums and attractions in Portland and Seattle.